HELP US BUILD OUR FOREVER HOME!

HELP US BUILD A SAFE, ACCESSIBLE HOME!

Donate online!!!!

Or text BRAVE to 2722 to donate $10 now through your phone provider!

*The first $350,000 of donations from this fundraising drive will be used directly for the benefit of the Causeys, and are therefore not tax deductible. Any additional donations will be added to the EOD Warrior Foundation’s general fund for the advancement of its mission goals.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Happy Anniversary & Homecoming Talk

That's right, folks- two years of marital success! Since yesterday was the day we pulled away from Fort Drum- very possibly for the very last time- there wasn't too much time to really carve out just for our anniversary. I bought him the cutest Lady and the Tramp card that said, "You're the only one I ever want at the other end of the spaghetti," and presented him with a Winnie the Pooh plaque that read, ""We'll be friends forever, won't we, Pooh?"asked Piglet. "Even longer," answered Pooh." I know- real cheesy stuff! I usually don't do Disney, or decorative stuff, but since we aren't doing presents I wanted to let Aaron know how sweet it is having him around! We began our drive later than intended, and it was only after a half-hour break of doughnuts at a gas station that I asked for us to stop for the night. We could get home before 10pm, but we'd be exhausted. And it was our anniversary! So we found a Sheraton. Aaron ordered up champagne and strawberries, we dipped in the hot tub, and ordered pasta for a late dinner. It was a lot like our wedding night, except without the absolute exhaustion!

While back at Fort Drum, we saw all of my friends and spent a few dinners with a some of the returning soldiers. My feelings on the whole event are pretty complicated, but it was neat being an observer to the goings-on of a homecoming. I got to see my friends all super-excited and dressed up, and even witnessed a few first kisses. One of my friends attended to support me, and I had her man the video camera. She caught a good friend's reunion, but right next to her and her husband, someone is making out with her soldier. Like, full face sucking. It's kinda funny. I was happy to see everyone else happy, which is exactly where I'll leave it. I wish I could say it was some life-changing moment that brought loads of closure on all of my feelings about deployment, the unit, and other related matter- but it didn't. It just didn't. Maybe later I will make sense of it all, and I'll be sure to write about it.

We're not far from Gettysburg, which we might visit, if Aaron ever wakes up. I am so sick of him having long days full of pain and fatigue. I knew this morning today was going to be a waste, and it just hurts. We can't really plan anything anymore because we never know what will be a good day with little pain or a terrible one in which he can't even get out of bed. Over it. Surgery in a week, so hopefully this summer will bring a very welcomed and long-overdue change of events.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Dear! I hope the surgery next week is a turn for you both. Thinking of you, always.

    P.S. Love the cheesy Disney stuff. What can I say? I'm a sap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Champagne, strawberries, and a hot tub sounds like a fantastic way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!!! Hope surgery goes well next week, thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete